Go to footer

Whats going on?

This Forum is dedicated to the TM² RPG TitlePack

Whats going on?

Postby popgun » 22.10.2014, 23:36

Guys,

Even though I haven't been busy at all on the RPG scene for a while, I have been watching the forum and noting the tracks coming out over recent months on TMX.
What's happened? The long tracks have all but dried up, and the shorter tracks that have replaced them seem to receive no rewards. There have been few new mods, and even the numbers that used to turn on the servers regularly seem to have dried up. There seems to be a reluctance for current drivers to have a go at track building and yet, if they don't, they'll be driving the same old tracks forever.
Come on guys! Keep your scene alive! If you want it to continue, you'll have to make the effort. Me and Iggy and numerous others may be taking a break for a while but if you don't make the effort to maintain the output, there will be no reason for us to return.
Even if you don't want to consider TM2 RPG yet , there are some stunning tracks up there now to consider, what with the new blocks available. Have a play and get stuck in! I still watch these forums and I'm curious as to where it will go. It's your game now, maintain it.

popgun
popgun

Re: Whats going on?

Postby Thomatos » 23.10.2014, 20:55

Hey pop,

I know it won't change the general opinion you have about trackbuilding atm, but you should check this: http://www.trackmania-rpg.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1446&p=12078 !

Have a look at the registered builders - and even the ones who haven't registered yet but might submit a track, that's gonna be a fresh new batch of tracks ! And I know of new mods that are yet to be released, and I'm editing one myself for an upcoming track, so I guess people are simply having a long break, but there is still hope for a revival of TMNF RPG in my opinion. Our server has been pretty active lately, with some new drivers, and I hope our building contest can give motivation to some of them, so that we discover some new talented builders :)

Oh, and if ever you feel like building for our contest, don't hesitate to do so !
Thomatos

Postby Vklf » 23.10.2014, 21:35

but there is still hope for a revival of TMNF RPG in my opinion

that just makes me mad..... what is wrong with you people.
Vklf

Postby Clith » 24.10.2014, 20:06

Vklf wrote:
but there is still hope for a revival of TMNF RPG in my opinion

that just makes me mad..... what is wrong with you people.

Agreed. While I'm not exactly active in TM any more, TM2 offers so much more for RPGs with the titlepack, and I can honestly say I've had more fun driving maps on TM2 than I have on TMNF
Clith

Postby Grimgor » 25.10.2014, 16:31

What I don't understand, is: why the players of TMNF RPG don't come to try a reel adventure !! RPG for role playing game no ?? Titlepack gives us the possibility of realizing this kind of adventure without any possible comparison with the RPG. Then, yes the RPG changed, but it especially increased and reaches summit in materials of atmosphere, seventh tricks and of pathfinding!!

Thomatos, it is really pity that you didn't even make the effort to come to try!! You are for a return of the RPG on TMNF, me I makes the apology of TM2 and the titlepack ;)

How don't want to run in these decorations : https://www.flickr.com/photos/109762907@N08/

so that we discover some new talented builders :)

come on Titlepack, a many talented builders you don't now do a very nice tracks !!
Grimgor

Postby Xerox » 25.10.2014, 16:59

Some players prefer TMNF than TM2.. What's the problem there? For example, I'm not playing TM2 because of the driving there, and because I have lag. Some guys just don't like it, and they keep playing/building on TMNF.

Stop being mad for nothing, players will play where they want ^^
Xerox

Postby Thomatos » 25.10.2014, 17:08

I also drive on tm2, even though I spend less time there atm due to tmnf projects... I've also driven with you (@grim) there btw (pulse. thom if that rings a bell), I like both games for different reasons, but they are different games for sure. The building, pathfinding and atmosphere possibilities in tm2 are sick, that's for sure, and that's one of the main reasons I'd like to build for tm2 once I'm done building my tmnf tracks. But I still dislike the driving in tm2, and I haven't gotten used to it yet, maybe I will...

I didn't mean to get anyone mad again, this discussion has already taken place several times. You can have both games and enjoy both, which I actually do, but they are different games. I was only mentioning to popgun we still are active even though it's less visible lately, people are still present and the RPG community will regain activity for sure, either on tmnf or tm2, cause who the fuck doesn't enjoy driving a nice adventure :)
Thomatos

Postby Pulse Ziza » 25.10.2014, 21:22

Xerox wrote:Some players prefer TMNF than TM2.. What's the problem there? For example, I'm not playing TM2 because of the driving there, and because I have lag. Some guys just don't like it, and they keep playing/building on TMNF.

Stop being mad for nothing, players will play where they want ^^

Amen! :twisted: :hehe:
Pulse Ziza

Postby BobTheJanitor » 26.10.2014, 07:14

Grimgor wrote:What I don't understand, is: why the players of TMNF RPG don't come to try a reel adventure !!

OK, sorry to jump on you, but I just happened to be browsing and read this and I have plenty of thoughts on that question that have been simmering for months.

First off, let me say that I would love to be able to enjoy TM2 RPG. I've tried, a lot. I've put dozens of hours into it. But it just isn't ever as fun as TM1, for a variety of reasons. First off, the lighting. And I know this isn't specifically a titlepack problem, it's just a TM2 and Nadeo being dumb problem. But it's hard to enjoy a track when sections of it are practically pitch black. This can be fixed with a whole lot of lights, but that drags down framerate after a while, even on a decent PC. The TM2 port of Sobekite is a good example of this. So many lights are in there to make the indoor sections visible that there's a massive frame drop when you face certain directions.

But a bigger issue is that a lot of the tracks just aren't very much fun to drive. And I apologize to all the hard working mappers that I just slapped with a blanket insult. The maps look incredible, I agree completely there. But I think far too often people are prioritizing aesthetics over gameplay. And as neat as it may look to drive over a big pile of differently shaped rocks, it's not much fun to wobble all over the place and bounce randomly over an edge thanks to TM's not-so-great physics. TM1 RPGs are still mostly made up of track sections, things that were originally designed to be driven on by a car at high speeds. TM2 RPGs are often made up of tiny blocks or tight passages that require a lot of no-speed tire screeching brake + gas turns. It's great that you can make a room that really looks like a room with tables and chairs and windows, but you've got to stop and ask the basic question 'is this fun to drive?'

From an aesthetic standpoint, TM2 wins hands down. It looks fantastic in ways that even the most amazing TM1 mods couldn't possibly match. But from a gameplay standpoint, most TM2 tracks are the equivalent of a TM1 track made up of nothing but curvy wall tops and rail rides and long pipe sections covered in clutter and blockmixed to hell and back. All the little fiddly bits that kill the flow of a track. I really want to like TM2 RPG, but every month or so I check back in on it to see how things are going, and every time I end up going back to TM1, where the fun tracks are.
BobTheJanitor

Postby Thomatos » 26.10.2014, 08:09

Lights have been fixed afaik, the builder "only" has to compute the shadows again, and having a good computer to play games isn't tm2-related, most games require some decent amount of calculation, and as tm2 is quite recent I guess most people are somehow supposed to have a capable-enough PC to run it properly, even with that many lights. More shadows make the atmosphere better imo - not too much though.

I also have to disagree on the driving possibilities somehow, I dislike the handling of the car, but the tracks are fun to drive imo - at least most of them. To me RPG is about atmosphere and scenery, as much as it is about driving, and a smooth fast path isn't required to make a good RPG track. And even though some blocks might be annoying to drive on - rocks, the edges of the new blocs, the edges of water blocks that get you stuck forever, etc. they offer some sick new possibilities, and honestly, driving on the scenery of a nice map, which has been made for its awesome looking rather than its smooth-as-fuck path, is damn awesome to me !

As you can see I am supporting both games, as I like both, why should people argue over that, 2 games, and people playing one or the other, or both, you don't have to stick to a game and hate the other one :)
Thomatos

Return to Board index

Return to RPG TitlePack