Go to footer

Advanced EditorMixing

The central place to find tutorials and tools for all aspects of RPG

Advanced EditorMixing

Postby eie » 07.08.2010, 21:53

EditorMixing is(n't) the same as BlockMixing, since it doesn't involve a secondary program. It only rely on the TM editor.

If you haven't read the first article, >press this link<
If you want to read a german version of this tutorial, go here PRESS THIS TEXT - All credits for that tutorial goes to Zenit
If you want another version of this very tutorial, CLICK HERE - All credits for that tutorial goes to Enai Siaion

Introduction
1 - Different kinds of blocks
2 - Simple removal of a block
3 - How it works I
4 - How it works II
5 - Advanced adding of a block

1 - Different kinds of blocks

First I will just show you this image, showing some of the different block connections, which I will learn you how to remove in this tutorial. I don't think I've got to explain which one's which ^^
yellow connection
blue connection
white connection
red connection
pipe connection

1a - from now I will only refer to this block as 1a (or 1)
This block can be:
Placed in air
Placed on ground
Connects with yellow connections

2a - from now I will only refer to this block as 2a (or only 2)
This block can be:
Placed in air only
Connects with pipe connections
Connects with 2b blocks

It should also be noted that I've yet to find a special tricks to do with that ring cp :s

2b - from now I will only refer to this block as 2b (or only 2)
This block can be:
Placed in air
Placed on ground
Connects with pipe connections
Connects with 2a blocks

3a and 4a - from now I will only refer to these blocks as 3a and 4a (or 4 & 5)
These block can be:
Placed on ground only
3a can be connected with red connections
4a can be connected with white connections

It should be noted that, if you read my first tutorial, and you place the blocks in the air; 3a will only have one shape

5a - from now I will only refer to this block as 5a (or 5)
This block can be:
Placed on ground only (it's not possible to place this in the air, at least not with this bug)
Can be connected to none (though you may add pipe connections [color=#999999]on this block)[/color]
[color=#999999]
[/color]
It should also be noted, that the minimum scale of this block, should always be 2x2x2.
On a further note, you should be aware of the consequences of removing the top of this block. If you delete too much, it will in the end become an "undeleteable" block, which would require a second program to remove, which ultimately removes the point of this guide >_<)

WHEN I REFER TO THESE BLOCKS AS ONE CATEGORY; THEY WILL BE CALLED VALID BLOCKS
ALL OTHER BLOCKS WILL BE REFERRED TO AS INVALID BLOCKS =)

Now that you know a little more, you can continue with this bug ^^
Remember, if you haven't read my first article, this may be very confusing, so I advice you to read it first: first tutorial

2 - Simple removal of a block

1 - valid block - 2b (all other valid ground blocks will go)
2 - invalid block
3 - Start

In this image you just have to to what you've already learnt =)
(For the third time: read this first)

a - Block added

In this image you can see the blue(or not so blue, since I painted the picture yellow^^) area is still there.

a - now press your CTRL button, and with your mouse click on the valid (1-4 will do the job) block

a - when you've selected the block, the turn will be deleted and you'll have a valid 2b block left, which you can safely delete
b - just another bug, this will be removed upon leaving editor, or deleting the 2b block

a - After you've deleted the blocks, the mix is finally done, and as you can see, the yellow connection in front of the start is now removed.

a - You can now also add a block in front of the start, without deleting the start block. but beware, if you DELETE the block, the yellow connection WILL come back, but if you UNDO the block, it won't... =)

3 - How it works I

Now that you know how this works, there's a few other thing you should need to know.

a - 2-4 blocks can be placed here, and it won't affect the valid 1a block
b - Invalid blocks will affect the 1a block, as shown in the image
c - 5a block can't be placed in front of the block, or TM will crash

4 - How it works II

1 - How this works: The most important thing is where you first place your block. You can't see it in the image, but the left part of this rectangle, is where I first placed the chain of blocks.

1 - as you can see, the blue area(or green, since I painted the image^^) is the same height as my unplaced block.

3 - and when you move further upwards, the blue(I know, I know!) will follow you, in fact, it won't affect the blocks placement.

a - I added pipes here
b - and here

As you can see, only one of the 2b blocks survived, this is because this was where I started the chain. It also deleted one of the pipes, while the other pipe survived. This means you can only remove ONE block at a time using this method.

5 - Advanced adding of a block

1 - Now that you understand the basics, it's time to use more complicated methods ^^
You can start off by adding these blocks to your track. (5a is 6x6, Height=2)

1 - Now DELETE your Inflatable, and create a blue area(yes it's blue now^^) by selecting the invalid block. (the blue area should be 4x4, height=4)

1 - Press the Undo button now.

1 - CTRL-click the 5a block, and watch,
2 - as a new 5a block is formed on top of the other one!
(Note that the roof of the lowest 5a isn't damaged, but the lower part of the tallest 5a is removed)

Continue until you've made three floors. each inflatable can be coulored in different colours =)

There seem to be some kind of rules for this blue area;
It will be REMOVED when:
When you move your camera, using ALT+mouse, sometimes it'll disappear.
CTRL-clicking another valid block will also remove it.
Entering the Dirt/Water/Grass part of the editor will remove it too

It will NOT be removed when:
Redo/Undo
CTRL-clicking any other block
Using 6-4-7(an example) to get to a valid block (using the categories)

Thanks for reading, and please tell me if there's something you didn't quite understand.
-_eie

I would also like to thank Tabasco for making it possible for me to make such a long post with so many pictures =)

Last edited by eie on 22.10.2010, 15:58, edited 14 times in total.
I'm too cool to have a signature...
eie

Tricks and Tracks

Postby eie » 07.08.2010, 21:54

This track will be reserved for tricks(if you've got questions about a picture, tell me^^) and tracks(just leave your track in a comment, and it will appear here soon =)

~ TRICKS ~

Inflatable inside dirt-hills

Inflatables

~ TRACKS ~

Perplexity - by eie
Track Info - TMX

--
Last edited by eie on 08.08.2010, 15:52, edited 12 times in total.
eie

Postby eie » 08.08.2010, 12:47

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifdROBVMmY0[/video]
Now made a video of it =p

Edit by Tabasco: make it to look the video
eie

Postby DarkRiver » 09.08.2010, 14:37

How did you do that deletion on the picture of 5A? When I try that, it just places my blocks that are supposed to delete the part, on top of the inflatable.
DarkRiver

Postby eie » 09.08.2010, 14:50

you're probably putting the blocks to high then ?
eie

Postby DarkRiver » 09.08.2010, 14:58

No, I just do exactly as in your tutorial, but trying to delete part of the inflatable, and then it places it on top of the inflatable.
DarkRiver

Postby eie » 09.08.2010, 15:09

Could you please be more specific (which guide/image are you referring to) ? =)
eie

Postby DarkRiver » 09.08.2010, 15:15

This image: Image

I used guide 2, and also tried using the back button to bring up the inflatable, but then it removes the entire inflatable.
DarkRiver

Postby eie » 09.08.2010, 15:27

You should read guide 5 then; you'll first have to delete 5A, then you'd have to make a blue area where you want to delete the part of 5A. Now you should use the undo button, and the Inflatable would come back, and the blue area should still be there. now CTRL-click a 1-2 block, and it should appear and remove parts of 5A.
Was this helpful? if not I'd have to make a video for this one day...

Edit: or did you try to not remove the top(which is the only thing, except signs, and pipe connections, you can remove from this block), but instead the sides of the 5A? If you want to remove the sides of the 5A, you should instead make a blue area where you want to add your 5A block, add some invalid blocks where you want to remove the bottom part of 5A, and then CTRL-click another 5A block. this is mostly helpful if you're deleting the corner parts of 5A. If you just want to remove parts of the side, you'd want to add pipe connections or perhaps that huge sign, and then remove it the way I describe above(same as removing top parts of 5A)
Last edited by eie on 09.08.2010, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
eie

Postby DarkRiver » 09.08.2010, 15:39

I found out what the problem was. the block I wanted to use to delete the parts, was a normal road block, but it was placed on the ground. so when I CTRL-Clicked that block it added the new road on the ground, which wasnt possible
DarkRiver

Postby Igntul » 12.08.2010, 09:37

and the Black connection ?(
you forgot the poor black dirt... but i didnt even read the tuto so i cant say if it cannot be used ^^
:cookie:
Igntul

Postby eie » 12.08.2010, 10:07

Totally forgot about that one :s
but I don't want to make more pictures now :p and the connections isn't a really important part anyway ^^
eie

Return to Board index

Return to Tutorials & Tools