Go to footer

RPG - Castle

Group together to work on the same project and get help with unfinished creations

RPG - Castle

Postby Cas... » 18.02.2014, 22:05

So with the arrival of the RPG-titlepack I felt it was time to try and start building rpg again. The last 'big one' i finally released was prison in wich the outside scenery was my new goal. This time however I'm wanting to do it better, Always wanted to build a castle-like track and with the new titlepack i think it's finally very possible. So I started building and i hope it will be hard but not too much. Pathfinding will be a part of it but not all the time.

I'm doing this one the right way with a one-off mod being build by shady, MT-work wich will include a lot of puns and a track that's nice to look at and even better to drive. (I hope :D )
This project will take some time, this isn't build in a week, especially not with all the work I have to do for school at the moment (studying for teacher) but if you're looking for some fun and want to help by beta/alpha-testing please feel free to download it and give comments.

Storyline: You're trying to get into the castle to kill the king and get out afterwards. You manage to get in trought the water-waste/supply lines wich brings you inside the outer walls.The outer walls are filled with block wich have come down from a previous siege. After a round trough the walls you'll be able to get into the main castle. Kill the king and get back out trough the front gate.
This is the short version of the story ;)

I've been building for 2 months now
I've not being doing nothing. It's just going very slow ^^ but I finally managed to get the first big room finished, this is a storage room. ;) The pipes on top from where you'll find the temporary finish are supposed to be sort of refrigerating system. I'm hoping to change the mt to a freezing, cold, blue screen so you'll get the feeling being close to a cold line ^^Shady is also still busy with the mod so for now i suggest dwl another mod if you want to test it or ask shady for a sneak-preview :P

What you should look at while testing.
- Scenery, no dead spots in wich there is nothing going on. Some trees need still to get branches but this is such a frustrating job I'll do one when I feel like doing so :P
- Track is respawnable and do-able (this doesn't mean that if you take 30 mins to nail an obstacle that it's shit, it's when you've found the way to do it and it still takes 30 minutes because it's a lucky shot then you can call it shit Image )
- MT works ( for now there is no MT but once it's installed make sure it works)
- Mod (same as with the MT, there isn't a mod at this moment but i'm i suggest you download another castle-like mod (I've seen some of them on the mod-part of the titlepack) from the titepack and test it with that.
- Your overall feel of the track ;)

You will be rewarded for your testing, certainly you'll be named in the outro and on mx. maybe some planets, not sure ;)
You can find the map on mx:

http://tm.mania-exchange.com/s/tr/59445

Enough talking go and have fun. btw, i've seen that some of the pipes have gone very dark and hard to see inside, can't really put any lights in them but as they are mostly straight I'm not expecting much trouble ;)

BTW:
some questions:
I want to use MT do you guys suggest also building it in already or wait till I've finished the track? (I was planning to wait because I' not a master with MT)
Should i make a story mode and a hunt mode?
Cas...

Postby Golo » 18.02.2014, 22:21

so the mod which you can see in the thumbnail isnt finished?
(Id prefer to see the track with the intended mod)
I also cant play it with any other mod atm because there is a pw... and I wont play it without mod ;)
Golo

Postby Cas... » 18.02.2014, 22:26

Nope the mod that shows in the thumbnail isn't finished yet...
mmm I had put pw-protection just in case. I'll ask shady for the mod-URL and paste it into the track so it autodownloads and you can try the map with it's intended mod.

Seeing you just posted this, I'm guessing it hasn't autodownloaded from itself ^^

Might take a while before shady answers ^^
Cas...

Postby Golo » 18.02.2014, 22:35

it hasnt indeed :P

Well I dont know how much complete this mod is
so its up to you, either add the loc of the new mod
or just update with another fitting mod, Ill try to test afterwards
Golo

Postby gugaruz » 19.02.2014, 00:23

If you have a prototype-mod or something else then I am going to give you a feedback about the scenery and the other points that you mentioned. I also can't say something about the map if i don't have a mod.
I think the last point what you say is the atmosphere for me

About your question:
i would say it depends on the builder.
I do the mt at the last
Add Zizaspub--> maniaplanet:///#addfavourite=zizaspub
Join Zizaspub-->maniaplanet:///#join=zizaspub
gugaruz

Postby Cas... » 19.02.2014, 12:26

Okay I've updated the track at mx with the ancient-mod. Shady and I feel like keeping the mod a secret for a little while longer, mainly because only 5% of it has been done ;)

Let me know if the ancient-mod autodownloads or not, thanks ;)

@guga: Thanks, I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one doing mt last ^^
Cas...

Postby gugaruz » 19.02.2014, 13:39

start-1: ok
1-2: ok
2-3: liane is flickering, before you get in the tube, easy to hide ;)
3-4: maybe you can turn the cp to the other side, so you don't have to turn at the cp :), the liane on the left wall is flickering
4-5: ok
5-6: ok
6-7: ok
7-8: the desks flickering with the walls and the glass with the desks too, maybe you put a small wall infront the flickering to hide it (you can't see it with 7, only in the ride mode)
8-fin: ok

scenery: some good ideas, the vine cellar at the end is great :) and the stones at the beginning are good too

Respawnable: as i said in the cp-counter: you can put the cp3 to the other side, then you don't have to turn twice

MT: -

Mod: -

Feeling: I enjoyed it, the castle-feeling is in this map and the pathfinding at the beginning is good :)

this is my opinion of your map
Add Zizaspub--> maniaplanet:///#addfavourite=zizaspub
Join Zizaspub-->maniaplanet:///#join=zizaspub
gugaruz

Postby Cas... » 19.02.2014, 16:21

Many thanks for testing it. I had seen the liane flickering at the tube yesterday with validating it but didn't see those at cp3. + good idea to turn it around, will do so.

I'll take a look at cp7-end, took some time to build so hopefully i can just hide it like you say with placing walls infront. The glass containers are hiding different sorts of vegetations but I don't think they are really visible inside. They had to resemble cooling containers with a cooling sytem on top (The pipe you ride on to the finish) I'll see what i can do with the glass containers, I could place them one up but then they are hovering above the desk wich just looks abnormal.

I'll update it as soon as I can and let you know ;)
Cas...

Postby Golo » 20.02.2014, 18:15

Ok I tried your track:

Good work so far ;)

here some issues I noticed:

-At the beginning theres some flickering on the ground before the caves,
would be nice if you could fix that
-The caves look a bit standard imo, not too bad, but youve seen these alot already.
Maybe you could do some scenery which makes them look a bit more special but thats just an idea
- The ledge to ledge transfer (first cp in the castle) could be a bit easier I think
- the cp before the boost/loop cp - the transition downwards seems to be very buggy.
Im not sure about this but perhaps you could change the landing and make the transition on road pieces smoother.. maybe I was just unlucky there not sure

Rest is nice, some good jumps and nice atmosphere inside the castle.
About mt - I guess theres nothing wrong with doing it last, it depends a bit on what youre planning to do. Id personally prefer
a hunt/story mode because I personally dont care that much about mt and story, I think you can do nothing wrong by making these two modes.
Golo

Re: RPG - Castle

Postby Cas... » 11.04.2014, 23:52

Okay, I finally managed to do some work on the track. School is killing me ^^

I've changed the things you all said, thanks for testing and letting me know.
The mod isn't finished so it's still running with GM for now. I might upload some pics to show what the mod looks like.

What are the big changes:
Everything you said should have been taken care off.
A new room is added, this is the kitchen. I know of a cut in the kitchen and will block it off in the next update.
The cave is 'finished', there is now a tree growing with it's roots in the middle + a litle deck has been placed and an extra cp so it's a bit longer.
The main hall and upper railing are done but still have to get some track build into it. That's also for the new update. I'm hoping to get some trickier stuff in the hall and some more pathfinding as it's a pretty straightforward track for now, pretty easy too. ;)

Mx link is also updated: http://tm.mania-exchange.com/s/tr/59445
Have fun testing!
Cas...

Return to Board index

Return to Projects & Beta