Asking for Feedback

Questions and thoughts about RPG in general

Asking for Feedback

Postby XdaC » 24.09.2013, 01:08

Hey Community,

How are you all? I hope everything is fine with everyone of you :D

I thought I could ask if someone has played, or is still playing, my track
"Postal
Last edited by XdaC on 24.09.2013, 05:48, edited 5 times in total.
XdaC

Postby XdaC » 24.09.2013, 05:11

Last edited by XdaC on 24.09.2013, 05:48, edited 2 times in total.
XdaC

Postby eie » 24.09.2013, 15:01

tl;dr version please?
I'm too cool to have a signature...
eie

Postby Golo » 24.09.2013, 21:36

yeah your tracks are very underrated indeed.
I actually dont play TM anymore and just started it to play ruins
but couldnt find motivation to write a review,
also Im practicing for exams and go on vacation tomorrow... afterwards
I might try postal and write a better comment as it looks really nice as well.
I also think that ruins is a kind of track that a lot of people would like
but probably just noone tested the track or I dont know ?(
Golo

Postby eie » 25.09.2013, 16:10

I only drove the first 3 checkpoints. Might drive more later, but:

The route should be much clearer. From cp 3 I found cp 5,6,7 (through different routes) before I found cp 4. Mind you I played without the mod properly loaded (black instead of transparent roof), when I got the mod loaded, this was easier, but I can only assume that most people would play this map without the transparency and quit after 3 cps. Your track shouldn't really depend on a mod. (even with a mod, invisible roofs should be avoided because they don't look natural.)

I also got the sense that you've focused too much on the detail. e.g. the scenery looks really good, but the flow of the track could be improved. There are a lot of ways one could easily try driving outside the route (driving up the dirty hills, one would miss a lot of cps).

If you really want to be more noticed and get feedback, you'll need to advertise yourself. By posting this thread you've done that somewhat wrong (seems too desperate), although I might understand your situation. Another way is to be active on servers and perhaps ask a nice admin/operator/moderator/... if they want to test a new track, and having them add it to a server.

btw nobody cares about Mediatracker.

regards, eie
eie

Postby Golo » 25.09.2013, 21:28

eie wrote:I only drove the first 3 checkpoints. Might drive more later, but:

The route should be much clearer. From cp 3 I found cp 5,6,7 (through different routes) before I found cp 4. Mind you I played without the mod properly loaded (black instead of transparent roof), when I got the mod loaded, this was easier, but I can only assume that most people would play this map without the transparency and quit after 3 cps. Your track shouldn't really depend on a mod. (even with a mod, invisible roofs should be avoided because they don't look natural.)

I also got the sense that you've focused too much on the detail. e.g. the scenery looks really good, but the flow of the track could be improved. There are a lot of ways one could easily try driving outside the route (driving up the dirty hills, one would miss a lot of cps).

If you really want to be more noticed and get feedback, you'll need to advertise yourself. By posting this thread you've done that somewhat wrong (seems too desperate), although I might understand your situation. Another way is to be active on servers and perhaps ask a nice admin/operator/moderator/... if they want to test a new track, and having them add it to a server.

btw nobody cares about Mediatracker.

regards, eie
I disagree

Edit: Eh, I realized you might have spoken about the other track I havent driven yet. (In that case drive ruins - it has a nice flow and a quite clear route).
In that case I just disagree with the mt statement - I dont care too much but its not totally unimportant and some people DO care.
And also I dont think it looks to desperate to ask for feedback if you haven received any... especially considering how much work is involved in such RPG tracks with own mods, pictures, etc...
I think everyone deserves this feedback and has the right to ask. Else, I agree on your advices to get noticed.

Another edit: I tried the first 6 cps of postal and I slightly ( ;) ) agree with eie on this track.I love the work that you did with the mod and all the pics and I actually prefer RPGs without flow and with much pathfinding but the route doesnt work as well as it does on ruins. You can actually keep the pathfinding, just make clear that its not too open... on some spots you can go almost anywhere. - It can be tricky to find the right way but it shouldnt be frustrating. You made this mt checkpoint counter to avoid to get a wrong cp but I think its better in general to disable any kind of possibility to reach a wrong cp (or at least that it looks obvious that it isnt the intended route). It still looks like a good track for me, as I said I didnt drive too much but I think "ruins" wroks out better.
Last edited by Golo on 25.09.2013, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Golo

Postby eie » 26.09.2013, 15:33

Oh right, should've mentioned I drove Postal2. I just skimmed through the post because it is too long ...

I mean mediatracker can be nice, but rarely important (and then only for certain tracks). It sure can make a track better, but one should mainly focus on the track itself first.

I probably worded myself a bit badly on the route >_>
Golo wrote:just make clear that its not too open

^much better way of saying it, a general route should be given. The route could be unclear between two checkpoints as long as you won't reach the wrong checkpoint on the way.
eie

Return to Board index

Return to RPG Talk